A little bit of life, love, and artisan jewelry but mostly the

Home of the Confused Muse..

Where you will find the meadering thoughts of an actively artistic brain - as well as my latest creations, events, soapboxes, dramas, crisis, blessings, and life in general.

This is also the home of "ChrissyMarie Jewelry and Accessories", named for my daughter! Twenty-Five Percent of all sales from this line are donated to B.I.T.S. aka "Better in the Saddle", a local non-profit Equine Assisted Therapy Program ....because we KNOW horses help make miracles!



Pages

November 12, 2007

=Etsy Street Teams and Me

Well today was a completely gloomy day and I stayed buried in my computer for most of it. I have Fibromyalgia (gasp!) and days like today when rain threatens and the weather fronts move in and out, I really don't feel much like moving. However, that said, life does go on and I really have to participate....not doing so makes me really cranky.

Two really good things: I joined two street teams on Etsy.com. The Kansas City Etsy Street Team - a group of Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas artist working together to advance the handmade cause and share ideas for sales, art shows, etc. I'm so excited to get involved with local artists interested in supporting each other!

The second group is JET - Jewelry on Etsy Street Team. This is a large group of jewelry artists at least 300 strong working to support one another in the arts but also sponsoring contests online, sharing ideas and professional business practices.

Joining a street team benefits everyone involved and I'm looking forward to the sharing of ideas and support. My one concern is this: am I really a "group" person?

My church encourages participation in small groups and although I know this is a beneficial element for most people....some of us just aren't the "group" type. I realize that a local small group is probably more restrictive than an online group of many but I get a bit anxious just wondering if I'll be able to keep up and participate the required amount. Is that weird or what? I don't think I'm going to freak out and quit or drive myself crazy trying to fit in but it does raise the question ... "What is right for me?
I can tell you that I don't really feel comfortable in a small group at church - I can find any number of reasons not to join one - the wrong day of the week, they meet too early in the morning, they meet too late at night, they're too old, they're too young, they have kids, they don't, etc.,etc.,etc. I don't like feeling like I have to be a part of a group to be a part of the group.

Believe it or not the two subjects of Fibromyalgia and groups really do have a connection. I think my struggle with group memberships has a lot to do with chronic illness. You just never know when you're going to feel well enough to participate so it's very intimidating to commit to a regular meeting. The beauty of joining online groups is this...you can attend meetings in your jammies! You don't have to look good, feel good, or even sound good. If you want to attend but refrain from participation it's okay and perfectly acceptable in an online group. Just try getting away with that in a small personal live group.

Most people outside of my family and really close friends don't even know I have Fibromyalgia. It's not a part of my life I like to share and it's not a part of my life I like to acknowledge so it's not surprising I don't talk about it much. I think I'll give this group thing a try - despite my personal health issues. I may even be required to attend a meeting with the KC Etsy Street Team at some point but I think I can handle that on occasion.

What are your thoughts on group meetings and memberships? Do you like being a member or do they freak you out?

See you soon!

No comments: