A little bit of life, love, and artisan jewelry but mostly the

Home of the Confused Muse..

Where you will find the meadering thoughts of an actively artistic brain - as well as my latest creations, events, soapboxes, dramas, crisis, blessings, and life in general.

This is also the home of "ChrissyMarie Jewelry and Accessories", named for my daughter! Twenty-Five Percent of all sales from this line are donated to B.I.T.S. aka "Better in the Saddle", a local non-profit Equine Assisted Therapy Program ....because we KNOW horses help make miracles!



Pages

November 18, 2009

Vitamin D Deficient?




I try to eat healthy, spend as much time outdoors as I possibly can, and stay up to date on the latest "stay healthy" information.  When my mother suggested I have my Vitamin D level checked I didn't think much about it.  I had my Vitamin D level checked a few years ago and it was "fine" according to my primary care doctor.

As many of you know I have a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury and it's easy to attribute many of my physical and mental symptoms to that condition.  Recently I had a little health scare which required an MRI of the brain and a boat load of lab work.  All of the results available to my doctor earlier this week was A-OK!  Great news right? YeeHaw!

Today I got a call from my Neurologist office with the results from my Vitamin D test.  According to her office they like to see at least a level of 50 or more with optimal levels being around 80.  Now I'm not a doc so these numbers don't mean much to me.  I'm thinking "50 what"?  But I don't need to know the scientific breakdown to know that being within the "normal range" is a good thing.  As it turned out my lab results showed my Vitamin D level at 8.  Dangerously low.  Prescription required and retesting again in four months to make sure I'm at least back in the "normal range. 

"What happens if I'm not back within normal ranges?"  I ask.
The nurse says, "We take a more agressive approach."  
Hmmm.  What does that mean?  I don't know and right now it's not important to me.  One day at a time I'll deal with this but in the meantime I did a little research on my own.  Holy cow!  I had no idea how much trouble a body can experience when it is deficient in Vitamin D or how prevalent this condition is becoming in the general public! 

I've attached a web link to the title of this post.  Please take the time to read the article!  If you have any of these symptoms then I would strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor about having a simple blood test. 

This is not something you can "self-diagnose" but you must be self aware.  No one knows your body as well as you do but it's easy to assume that you're tired because of overwork, lack of sleep, or stress.  We like to think there is nothing seriously wrong.  But why take a chance when it's something that could be easily addressed? 

I'm climbing down off of my soapbox now :)  I know this is not what you might expect to read on this blog but sometimes I have to share information for the greater good.  If just one reader of this blog is helped because of this post then I've done something to help.  It will not sell my jewelry and it will not further the popularity of my designs, and it might be considered right down boring. So be it.

A shout out is required here to my mom....Thank you! You are hearby granted a pass to "gloat" (a little) and you have every right to say "I told you so!" Enjoy this moment Mom :)  You've earned it!

No comments: